Inclement weather can occur at any time. Stay informed and be prepared at all times for changing weather conditions.
- Take steps to prevent frozen water pipes
- Prepare your vehicle for the winter
- Check wipers, tires, lights, and fluid levels often
- Keep a winter storm kit in your car
- Avoid driving in extreme winter conditions
- Stay indoors when possible
- Dress appropriately with layers if you need to go outside
- Keep extra blankets at home and in your car
If your vehicle is stranded, pull as far off the road as possible and stay inside unless you see a building nearby. Make sure the exhaust pipe is not blocked by snow, and then run the engine and heater about 10 minutes each hour to keep warm. Turn on the dome light at night when running the engine. When the engine is running, open a window slightly for ventilation. Periodically clear away snow from the exhaust pipe.
- Stay indoors with air conditioning on when possible
- Reduce, eliminate or reschedule strenuous activities until the coolest time of the day.
- Wear sun screen and a hat if you need to go outside and avoid direct expousure to the sun
- Keep hydrated, drink lots of water and avoid drinks with caffeine, alcohol, and sugar
- Don't leave valuable electronic equipment, such as cell phones and gps units, sitting in hot cars.